Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Three Weeks

So, we are creeping up on three weeks since Marcus arrived.

Three weeks since we picked him up from the airport looking like "the crazy people", complete with signs, balloons, and cameras.
Three weeks since he stepped into our home and slept in his new room, his new bed.
Three weeks since he had his first taste of American fast food.
Three weeks since he came into our busy (sometimes chaotic) family life, and completely changed it...forever.

Honestly, it feels like we have known him for much longer.  He has made himself at home here.  He constantly makes us laugh and enjoy the little things in life.  The things that maybe we were taking for granted, or were too busy to notice.  He has come at a time when I think we needed him most.  A time when we, as a family, were getting so caught up in work, school, sports, etc. that we were getting lost.  A time when my kids were always fighting with each other and I was starting to wonder what I was doing wrong as a parent.

Then came Marcus.

On nights when my kids would be playing video games all night and we would hardly see them come out of their rooms, they are now playing basketball in the driveway.  On days when my kids would be fighting, my kids are laughing.  The sound of my kids constant laughter is music to my ears. Marcus is quite the comedy relief.  He is very witty and always has a quick comeback, which sends us all laughing...every single time.  I thank you for that Marcus, even though I am usually the brunt of your jokes :)

Sometimes I wonder...did we just get lucky to be matched with Marcus?  Maybe.  But I like to think that he was placed here for a reason.  This is a truly rewarding experience, I wish more people I know could experience this for themselves.  In the meantime, I am enjoying "sharing" Marcus with our family, our friends, and our community.  He is like an instant sensation here in Allendale, MI.  He says "everybody loves me", and he is absolutely right.  In three weeks he has made many new friends at school and through soccer.  He has made an impact on others here, not just our family.  I am so happy for him.  I love to see him fitting right in and making friends so easily.

As I am writing this post, I wonder if Marcus knows how much of an impact he has made on us in the last three weeks?  I'm guessing not.  He is just one of us now, another member of the crazy VanHuizen family.  He is along for the ride, and he is hanging on tight.

Three weeks...thanks for following our journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment